Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A experience of a lifetime

Okay so call it a gift or call it what you like but I have this ability to see ghosts sometimes.One of them never let my mind or my heart go.

I was young in middle school.Me and my friends like any group of pre-teens who were curious.They thought ''let's freak out Stephanie'' which was an old friend of mine back then.Shes very skiddish and easily frightened.My friend Kayla had received an Ouija board.What a splendid opportunity to send goosebumps up Stephanie's spine.So they all put they're hands on and started asking questions.Somehow we found out his name and that he served in the American Civil War and that he had the same last name as my friend Stephanie. Well they thought they were pulling a prank on Stephanie however I was far from wanting to prank Stephanie.I was serious when I saw the ghostly figure of the man Robert A.Reid.He was fairly tall, a bit of a belly on him but dressed in farmers clothes(white shirt, over-alls, and boots) with a content look on his face.Somehow he gave off this vibe of being a decent person and that he took pride in his work and that I feel like I could trust him.I felt like he was sending me his contentment and I liked the feeling.After he faded out and it was all over, I was sad to see him leave.I wanted to talk to him, get to know him, and see what his hobbies were.

My friends still thought it was a joke.They didn't believe me when I told him I saw him.After several years passed and I got into high school, I reminisced about the memory.I got curious and looked his name up.To my surprise I found him.Sometimes I enjoy reading his obituary out of comfort.His obituary matched perfectly with what it said.I want to give a big thank you to Mr.Reid.

Here's his Obituary found on http://www.pacivilwar.com/medalofhonor/schuylkill.html

REID, ROBERT A.: Pottsville, born at Raploch near Stirling, Scotland, on January 22, 1842, and came to Pottsville at the age of twelve. Private, Company G, 48th Pennsylvania Infantry. Petersburg, Va., 17 June 1864. Citation: 1 December 1864, for Capture of flag of 44th Tennessee Infantry (C.S.A.). (3/4/99 - from the papers of Brevet Major General St. Clair A. Mulholland) Robert A. Reid died in Pottsville on April 25, 1929, at age 87 and was identified by Pottsville newspapers as the city's "Grand old man." One of the earliest pupils of the Bunker Hill School Building, Reid worked as a youth at Benjamin Haywood's rolling mill at Palo Alto, and was also the superintendent of a large rolling mill at Danville where he lived for a quarter of a century. He was a member of the Danville School Board and then lived for several years on a model farm at Bodines near Williamsport. He also served as a member and secretary of the Pottsville School Board for nearly two decades. Robert A. Reid enlisted in April of 1861 in the 48th Pennsylvania Volunteers, Company "G," led by Captain Philip Nagle, a Mexican War Veteran. Reid was discharged with the rank of Ordinance Sergeant. While at Petersburg, Virginia, on June 17, 1864, Reid turned his captured 44th Tennessee Regiment Flag over to the 48th Regiment and Adjutant General Townsend awarded him the Congressional Medal of Honor in September of 1864. A splendid soldier, Robert Reid was present in every battle in which his regiment was engaged: Second Bull Run, Chantilly, South Mountain, Antietam, Fredericksburg, The Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Cold Harbor, and the Seige of Petersburg. He entered politics in 1903 with the nomination of the independent Republicans and Democratic party as a member of legislature for the Fourth District, but he lost to the regular Republican candidate. Reid acted as the secretary of the 48th Regiment Survivors Association for years, and this post was later held by his son, William Reid, until the unit was disbanded. Died April 25, 1929 and buried Odd Fellows Cemetery in Pottsville. (3/4/99: Thanks to Jay Zane and the Historical Society of Schuylkill County for this latest information on Robert A. Reid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment